8.12 Windows 8 Telephone Activation
By default Windows 8 automatically activates itself the
very first time you connect to the Internet.
Sometimes, however, the automatic activation does not go
according to plan and you are left with an inactivated copy
of Windows 8 and an irritating nag screen informing you that
Windows 8 is in need of activation.
While having an inactivated copy of Windows 8 can be a
nuisance it can easily be remedied by telephoning the
Windows 8 activation line.
To do this proceed as follows:
- Press the Windows key and R on your keyboard to
bring up the Run command.
Fig: 8.11.1 The Windows Run command
- In the Run dialogue box type: slui.exe 4 and then
press the OK button.
Fig: 8.11.2 in the Run command box type slui.exe 4
- When the Windows Activation window opens, select
the Country or nearest location to you from the drop down
Fig: 8.11.3 Select your language from the language drop
- The Activate Windows by phone window will now
Fig: 8.11.4 Input the required numbers into the ID box
for activation to proceed
- In this Window you will see a Free phone telephone
number and a Local/National rate telephone number. You need
to select the relevant telephone number and dial it on your
- Once connected to the Activation line you will be
asked to provide a series of numbers. These numbers (see
Provide these numbers when asked on the activate windows by
phone window) are generated by your PC and give valuable
information about your product key. You input them via your
- Once you have Inputted the required numbers, the
automated activation line will give you another set of
numbers to input into the activate windows by phone window.
- You type these numbers into the available boxes in
the Enter the confirmation ID you get over the phone section
of the Activate Windows by phone window.
- Once these numbers have been inputted, press the
- If all has gone well and you have inputted the
numbers correctly your copy of Windows will be activated.
- If a problem occurs and you are unable to activate
Windows you will be told that the Activation cannot proceed.
Do Not terminate the call. Hang on and you will be
transferred to a real person who will take you through the
steps again and will be able to help you activate your copy